Started Sep 17, 2021 05:00PM UTC   •   Closing Jan 01, 2023 08:01AM UTC

What percentage of US retail sales will be made online in the fourth quarter of 2022?

The COVID-19 pandemic drove an increase in online shopping in the US, but whether increases will continue apace is an open question (Digital Commerce 360, Supermarket News). The outcome will be determined using seasonally adjusted "Estimated Quarterly U.S. Retail Sales: Total and E-commerce" data when first released by the US Census Bureau for the fourth quarter of 2022, expected in February 2023 (Census.gov, see "Latest Quarterly E-Commerce Report"). For the fourth quarter of 2020, the Bureau reported E-commerce as a Percent of Total as 13.6% (Census.gov - Q2 2021 Table, xls file download).

Confused? Check our FAQ or ask us for help. To learn more about Good Judgment and Superforecasting, click here.

To learn more about how you can become a Superforecaster, see hereFor other posts from our Insights blog, click here.


Replacement Question: https://www.gjopen.com/questions/2399-what-percentage-of-us-retail-sales-will-be-made-online-in-the-fourth-quarter-of-2022

Tags
Challenges

This question has been voided by an administrator and is no longer active.

The US Census Bureau recently announced a set of major revisions to its e-commerce data, which has shifted the base rate considerably. The change for Q4 2020 alone is 1.5% of total e-commerce sales (from 13.6% to 15.1%), or one-and-a-half bins. Therefore, we are going to void this question and relaunch with fresh bins.
Tip: Mention someone by typing @username